Friday, March 23, 2012

STUDIES


I was at a book launch in Newman House the other day.

In the course of his speech, John Bruton made a throw-away remark: "Does anyone remember Louis Smith?"

My answer is most definitely "yes".

Louis was one of my professors in UCD in the 1960s. A bit over my head but a very nice man. I had to make a call on his honesty after I had left UCD and during my "confessions" with the Rector of the College of Europe, Henri Brugmans. Fortunately I made the right call.

But Louis was not as dull as some of his lectures might have led one to believe. He had a good sense of humour and below is a photo of him taking his place among the saints on his own personal island in Paris.


Sad Update: Louis died 25/11/2012. RIP

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bona fide comments only. Spamming, Trolling, or commercial advertising will not be accepted.