Thursday, May 03, 2012

Upside Down Flying


I was passing the EU Office in Dublin today when I saw the big European flag flying on the flagpole. Well, I thought to myself, at least these guys are flying their flag the right way up. Just as well and Europe Day coming on 9th May. Though, the way things are going it is getting more difficult to see what the point of Europe Day is.

I was reading the offer on the outdoor poster of "Afternoon tea with Europe" and the cakes from the embassies, when my eye caught a detail of the picture under the text. There were two pennants in the photo of the food table and the EU one was upside down.

Now people may be aware of my predeliction for spotting upside down flags. It probably started when Ian Paisley gave out to some British crowd for flying the Union Jack upside down (yes, you can). And then I was involved in work with the EU INTERREG and NI Peace Programmes where it was essential to make sure the EU flag was not flown upside down (yes, you can).

My own experiences to date with the upside down EU flag consisted of the French Embassy on the day of Sarkozy's 2008 visit and the Hungarian Embassy in the course of 2009.

And now, to cap it all, here is the EU itself doing the same thing.

I think I feel a blog post coming on.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Bona fide comments only. Spamming, Trolling, or commercial advertising will not be accepted.