Wednesday, May 24, 2017

THE RAG: THE SEQUEL 2


Click on any image for a larger version

Various establishment entities are lining up their ducks for the big day. The Jersey Child Abuse Inquiry is due to report on 3 July 2017. It is expected that the report will attract a lot of attention from the UK and international press and these will be sniffing around for stories.

The BBC are "cleaning up their act" by taking offline various of their exposés and reports on what had been going on in Jersey since the Liberation (from Nazi occupation) after WWII.

The Inquiry itself has put vast amounts of witness testimony online. This was redacted before posting in order to protect both the (alleged) guilty as well as the innocent. Some of the redaction was so incompetent that the texts would have been better left alone. But to cap it all, the Inquiry has been quietly carrying out further redactions which have only compounded the incompetence.

In one case, for example, the sacked Chief of Police's evidence was redacted to protect the identity of a Jersey notable who was alleged to have raped a number of adult women. I pointed out in a blog post that the person in question (given the number 737 by the Inquiry) was easily identifiable to anyone with half a knowledge of the Jersey scene, but I did not name him.

The Inquiry quietly returned to the posted text and added further redactions which actually only identified the man definitively.

When I discovered this recently I updated my earlier blog post and wondered what to do next.



My substantive comment to the JEP
Click on image for a larger version

I eventually decided to draw attention to this in a comment to Jersey's only newspaper, the Jersey Evening Post (JEP aka The Rag). I did this in preference to commenting on a Jersey blog which would only leave the blogger open to retribution by the Jersey authorities.

The next thing was to find an appropriate news item under which to plonk the comment. The most recent such item appeared to be the Bailiff's Liberation Day speech. In his speech the Bailiff was trying to sanitise the term "The Jersey Way", a shorthand moniker for the many interrelated layers of corruption on the island.

Now, readers of this blog will be familiar with my earlier encounter with The Rag's editor where a comment of mine, made in good faith, was parked in moderation and then deleted. ( here and here ) So I did not hold out great hopes of getting this comment through.

The comment referred to the Bailiff's speech, to people tidying up their online material in anticipation of renewed scrutiny on 3 July, and it gave a link to my blog update.



My second comment identifying myself
Click on image for a larger version

When I realised I had posted it under my Irlpol account, I added another comment under my subsequent Pól Ó Duibhir account to say the earlier comment was mine. I had opened the latter account in the course of my earlier arguments with the editor and as a challenge to an anonymous and malicious troll to do likewise.

Well, the Irlpol ID was clearly on "moderator watch" and went straight into moderation to be carefully scrutinised before publication. The Pól Ó Duibhir ID went straight through.



Meanwhile, while I was waiting for my comment to exit moderation I decided to reply to a tweet by Stuart Syvret, former Health Minister and whistleblower, who had been ruthlessly and vindictively screwed by the Jersey régime.

Stuart was complaining that Commissioner Clyde-Smyth, who was obliged in justice to reveal certain information to him, was not just refusing to reveal it but was also refusing to engage in correspondence with him.

Now, in their second round of redactions, the Inquiry had attempted to conceal the fact that the Commissioner had earlier been acting for person 737 and I decided to reply as above and put a bit of pressure on the JEP to hurry up and do their moderation bit.



And just for good measure, I thought I'd again draw attention to the fact that person 737 had originally been scheduled to be interviewed under caution as a suspect, but, since the sacking of the Police Chief, we had heard no more of this.



Meanwhile the JEP had posted an item deploring how signage was ruining some beauty spots on the island. The piece, entitled Five Jersey Eyesores included signage overlooking the picturesque port of Gorey with its magnificent Mont Orgueil Castle.

It struck me that the picture had been taken from a position just outside Haut de la Garenne the infamous child abuse home. So I did a tweet suggesting an additional sign. I got no reaction to this so far.



Original of Gorey/HDLG photo
Click on image for a larger version.

Just in case you want to see the full picture, I have included it separately above.



Then I got back to reminding the JEP directly about my comment languishing in moderation.



And a little more gentle pressure via Twitter.



Click image for a larger version
Original tweet

And then, I got the biggest surprise of my life. The JEP actually published my comment. I couldn't believe it. I was convinced it would be too hot for them to handle. But here they were becoming complicit, in a sort of a way, in revealing the Inquiry's revealing of the identity of the Jersey notable.

On the assumption that they knew what they were doing, and that their left and right hands were fully coordinated, I have to take my hat off to them on this one.

Check if the Irlpol comment is still there

[Update 13/1/18: I have just noticed that the comment referred to above is no longer there. The JEP recently "upgraded" their site in the course of which operation the comments have conveniently vanished.]


6 comments:

  1. The work you are doing exposing the infamous 'Jersey Way' is very welcome for those of us sitting on this corrupt little rock.

    Along with VFC your exposes must make for compulsive reading for people worldwide who would be shocked that so much cover-up, and corruption can take place on a 9 x 5 Island.

    This used to be a lovely Island - alas no more.

    Thank you, and yes - your comment is still there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gillian @ 08:03

    Thank you. It's nice to know that others besides Stella's brother are reading the blog. As you will have gathered I have a long running and slow burning sense of outrage at what has befallen the island I fell in love with in 1961.

    Although I don't live there it is all very real to me. To think of the abuse that was going on even when I was there is heartbreaking.

    The JEP photo with the signs got to me, particularly the one about the footpath to Gorey. Way back, when I posted a night shot of the castle, taken in 1961, I think it was yourself who pointed out to me that it was more than a pretty view, and that it was taken from the spot where the children from Haut de la Garenne passed by on their way to the bus to town. I have never looked at the castle since without that gut wrenching memory.

    I hope you can keep up the good fight. It won't be over on 3 July, but hopefully that day will make a contribution to ultimate victory. At least the mountain of witness testimony given and published by the Inquiry so far is a stark indictment of a thoroughly rotten system.

    May the Force be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A small suggestion about this: "... Stuart Syvret, former Health Minister and whistleblower, who had been rightly screwed ...". I don't think you mean to suggest that it was proper that Stuart Syvret be screwed, so perhaps "thoroughly" would be better than the ambiguous "rightly".

    Sorry: hard to put down the red pencil.

    bjg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Irishwaterways @ 09:48

    Thanks Brian.

    I am so immersed in the Jersey scene that such an interpretation would never have occurred to me. But, you are, of oourse, right. And I would be loath to be seen to offer any comfort to the régime in their self proclaimed righteousness.

    You made me think about a more appropriate descriptor and I have opted for "ruthless and vindictive". That should take care of any ambiguity.

    Thanks again for pointing that out. Bona fide comments, pro or contra, are always welcome, as are an extra pair of seasoned proof-reading eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to have the boring task of looking through the JEP comments now!
    Thank you Polo for alerting me to this via your excellent blog.
    It is good to have supporters from outside of Jersey such as yourself.
    Thank you for meticulously following Jersey's child abuse encyclopedia of events and players, and responding with such intellect and dedication.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous @ 11:20

    Thanks for the comment and the flattering remarks.

    There are links in the above post to the two previous ones on The Rag. Whatever about other people's comments on JEP you will have links to all of mine. Also clicking on the images above should give you readable larger versions.

    ReplyDelete

Bona fide comments only. Spamming, Trolling, or commercial advertising will not be accepted.